Friday, March 23, 2012

I have Astigmatism...will I die from this????

Astigmatism seems to sound like a really scary word in exam room to most people.  My patients tell me they have it like it's the plague or maybe some recently discovered disease that will absolutely destroy mankind.  I hold back some laughter and explain it's just another reason they need to wear glasses.  There are many terms to describe why patients need correction (ei. glasses or contacts) in order to see better.  This is simply another reason, the eye's surface is simply more curved then it should be.  Once light enters the eye, it's bent in funny shapes to trick your eye into seeing the world in a odd shape...more specifically letters seem distorted.  The letter T will seem like a cross or an F, something lenses will aid in refocusing.  Here are symptoms, in case you might be another victim of this harmless, easy to fix problem.

Patient: "I can't see at night anymore, I'm going night blind.  The glare from cars annoys me and I feel like the sun is sitting in my eyes when it's really sunny.  Also I hate wearing sunglasses because everything goes more blurry but then the sun is bugging me, I'm stuck.  And...I lose my spot every time I read a book or look at a computer...it's not blurry really but sorta.  What's wrong with me, am I gonna live?"

Me: "Yes, it's probably Astigmatism...let's investigate further..."

See and Be Seen! at Eyed LA Optometry in Brentwood, West Los Angeles
www.eyedla.com


3 comments:

  1. Great post, Doc! Your posts will help us Opticians out there as well. Really valuable stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! Linking the two worlds of optometry and optics through the eyes of opticians is key in creating the exact result our patients are needing. The more opticians understand our science the better prepared we will be to cater exactly to the individual need of every patient. As patients, we all have very unique circumstances and requirements in our daily function, and that should always be addressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank god! i was worried about my eyes. phew!

    ReplyDelete